The Board of Osteopathic Medicine was established in 1923 by legislative action under the signature of Governor, Ephraim F. Morgan. One of the first board meetings was held in the Daniel Boone Hotel in Charleston, WV where the board office is currently located.
West Virginia is one of fourteen states that has both an allopathic and an osteopathic licensing board.Learn more
About the Board
The West Virginia Board of Osteopathic Medicine is a state agency that licenses osteopathic physicians and osteopathic physician assistants. By statute, we are composed of five licensed physicians with at least five years of practice, one Physician Asistant member, and two lay members appointed by the Governor with the consent of the Senate.